Bell Siphons for Flood and Drain Aquaponics Systems
Siphons are essential for any flood and drain aquaponic system.
Without the need for any electricity or moving parts, bell siphons move the water safely, regularly and efficiently out of your grow bed and back to your fish tank, all the while sucking oxygen into the heart of your plant’s roots.
Made out of high quality, food-grade PVC plastic, these siphons will run continuously for years without the need for any maintenance or adjustments.
These bell siphons are designed for a media bed with media depth of about 12 inches (it will not work properly with less than 11″ or more than 13″ of media). The media guard is designed to keep hydroton, river rock, gravel or any other media from clogging the siphon and causing a catastrophic blockage.
Why use a Bell Siphon?
- No more timer – You will no longer need nor want a timer to control your pump. This eliminates:
- The cost of the timer
- The risk of timer failure
- The cost of the electricity needed to run the timer
- Pumps fail less – Pumps that run continuously suffer less wear and tear which should result in a longer pump life.
- More aeration – using a siphon to drain your beds will increase the aeration you deliver to your fish tank and to your plants.
- Educational opportunity – Bell siphons are loaded with basic lessons about physics, and with our window at the top of the Bell, you can see the physics in action. This creates a great opportunity to teach students about partial vacuums, low pressure, pressure equalization, the impact of flow rates on siphon performance, and the force behind it all – gravity. In fact, in the video below, you can see a group of forth graders learning about the physics of siphons:
Each Bell Siphon from Pittsburgh Aquaponics comes with:
- 1 – 12 inch high grade PVC bell siphon
- 1 – window at top to view siphon in action
- 1 – media guard
- Complete operating instructions with link to video